Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ummmm, snow?

Well, it appears as though winter is finally here - in March no less - and we're all hoping it sticks around for a little while! Squaw yesterday was amazing, making laps on KT-22 and finding all sorts of stashes and fun things to jump off of. Alpine today was also good, though the lift line on Roundhouse grew to incredible proportions by midmorning and pretty much killed the vibe for me after 4 runs. Grrrrrr. I guess everybody is so hungry for pow it doesn't matter how hard the wind blows this season. If I wasn't on the schedule to work I would have probably been hiking up some nice sheltered, treed slopes for some untracked turns, like in my backyard here in KB.
If I hadn't gone to Alpine, however, I would not have randomly ridden the chair with the rep for Whitedot skis, a guy visiting from my home state of Washington. He convinced me that I needed to try a pair since he had some demos in the car, so he grabbed those and set them up for me while I went to ski school lineup. Luckily, I didn't have to teach, so we took another run. He wasn't kidding, those things rip! A small ski company, handmade in Chamonix and ridden to recent freeskiing world tour wins, I would hope they ski well! The Preacher is their all-mountain fatty and despite being 112 underfoot it also carved some fine turns down the groomer back to the chair--after shredding the bejeezus out of the pow on the way down. FUN!! The only downside? $420 for the skis, a screaming deal, but an amount I'd have a hard time coming up with after missing 5 days of work during the biggest ski week of the season. Crud.
On that note, at least it's still snowing! Tomorrow should be good, but knowing my luck I'll probably be teaching beginners all day.

1 comment:

  1. Not only is she the adventurous Wonder Woman I'd be in another life, she can write entertainingly too!

    ReplyDelete